Sonntag, 17. Oktober 2010

Early Oct

Adventuring out into the rainy night, I wondered whether I would be warm enough for the Vienna Night Run.  Yet my personal comfort was far from my mind as I approached the Rathaus.  It was beautifully lit up and buzzing with excitement.  There were hundreds of people, and most everyone was wearing their complimentary Vienna Night Run blue shirts.  The only unseen blue was hidden under sweats.  I was impressed with how well the race was organized.  The concert stage and music set the mood.  On the stage was a guided stretch and aerobic warm up.  It was performed with upbeat energy that infected all within earshot.  But I wasn't following the stretch so much as laughing with the rest of our group.  We were jokingly worrying about the impossible challenge we all volunteered to run.  (Well, half-joking.)  Soon everyone migrated to the starting line.  And we were off!  The five kilometers around the Vienna downtown ring wasn't as bad as we thought it would be.



After crossing the finish line.    

Rathaus.  Gorgeous, right?





The next day, the SA group went to Schönbrunn Palace.  As we entered the front courtyard, I couldn't help but wonder why the color of choice for so many of these older buildings was yellow.  The interior was very elaborate.  Unfortunately picture-taking wasn't allowed inside.  But they couldn't stop us from snapping pictures around the wonderful gardens and fountains!  

Front courtyard 

Garden and a couple fountains



View of the backyard.  Here is shown one of the flowerbeds and the Gloriette.  During the Winter the flowers are switched out with colored tile pieces.  All the color with none of the work!   

Funny story:  When Maria Theresa live here, she refused to walk anywhere.  Her servants would carry her on a platform.  And everyday she wanted to visit the Gloriette.  So, everyday she would be carried 30 minutes uphill.  By the end of her life she weighed 250 lbs.  My friends and I reenacted the tradition.  ...but only long enough to take the picture.

View from the Gloriette looking back at the Palace.  

Gotta enjoy the Autumnal season!

2 Kommentare:

  1. wait, what is this night run thing?? anyway, it sounds fun

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I got talked into running a marathon. 5k! Yes, twas a blast. Plus I got a sweet blue shirt out of it. I guess it's a huge annual international race, and some of the funds go to charity.

    AntwortenLöschen